Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Week 21's wrap up.

This week was surprisingly easy for us.  I've put in a couple changes, which seem to have made a really large difference.

Reading:  Reading is the first big change. Instead of spending the week doing trash words, we've been using "Raz-Kids."  My cousin has a subscription through her school district, and has 5 additional spots for her students that she's not using, so she put Monkey into one of those spots, and off we went.  He read, and read well, all 18 of the Level aa books this week, and is about set to move on to the next level.  I'm really proud of him, he's doing an excellent job using the pictures for clues, and also sounding things out when he needs to.  We'll see how well he does with A next week.

Math: Math is the other big change.  Instead of taking Right Start math one lesson per day and moving along, we've hustled it all up a bit, and he's now skipping anything review-related and working at about two lessons per day.  He was, oddly, bored, and so he was acting out for it.  Next week will be interesting, as I'm going to be trying to plan for it this week.  However, Monkey can now tell analog time to the hours, which he is loving.  I'm very pleased with his hard work, and he's doing a great job, and moving right along!

Logic: I still really need to get Lollipop Logic 2.  Monkey is really anxious to do more than one lesson in a day, and I'd like to let him, but I'd also like the curriculum to actually last us a bit.  He's still doing spectacularly at this, and there's very little else to say about it.

French: French has kind of dissolved on me. It would be easier if I knew what I was doing before I started, but I'm still going to keep trying.  I've been, if nothing else, letting Monkey watch movies on Fridays... but we're using the French audio tracks (and English subtitles), so I'm hoping that counts at least a little.

History: We made our own personal seals this week. Depressingly, our clay did not dry as it was supposed to, so we have a week later, still soft seals. I'm thinking of doing this with Play-Doh tomorrow just to make the point, have the seals dry, and then make our pieces.  Worst that happens is the lesson gets done twice.

Science: Monkey is having a great time with science, and we're averaging two experiments per week.  We are still in The Human Body, and he knows so much about it now that it's almost frightening.  I've never heard a four year old give a minor lesson on digestion or white blood cells before.  However it comes, though, he's really loving it, and I'm thrilled to be able to be involved in it.

Next week will stay with Human Body, move ahead in History, try to move ahead in French, see what we can get to in Math, and for Reading, we'll keep with Raz-Kids, and see what he's able to get to.  I'll pick up actual instruction after American Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment