Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Week 9, Day 4.

Well, today is the end of week 9.  Our week has been all kinds of weird, as Skeeve's work schedule has been screwy.  He hasn't had a full weekend in a while (okay, he had one day off last week instead of two), and is working today, but off Friday, so we've shifted a little.

Today we had no math, I figured to use the day for whatever review Monkey night need.  However, he seems to have the concepts down well, so we really just "did math" as we went - reading signs with numbers, counting steps, things like that. We also reviewed counting by twos.

Science was today's "extra" subject.  We went over phases of the moon - waxing, waning, full and new.  Skeeve will do an experiment with him on this over our weekend.  I'm also going to try to squeak in another go at the history lesson that didn't go so well the other day.  That's sort of an 'if time, then history' thing, though, so it's not too bad.

Reading was the hardest of the lot.  Not because it was inherently difficult, but because sight words as a concept require memorization, which is not Monkey's strong suit.  Not that his memory isn't good, but that he actively dislikes the process of memorization.  I think I might see if I can get a game together for this.  Maybe I'll get a sheet of plastic, anchor it, and write the words on it.  Then I can call words, and he can go jump on them.  I really do think sight words are going to be the hardest thing for him.  I suppose we'll just have to see how it goes, though.

And so, for this week, we've accomplished:
Reading: Lvl2, lessons 5-9, kindergarten sight words
Math: Lessons 25-27
History: Introduction, What is History, begin family history
Science: Phases of the moon

No comments:

Post a Comment